June 4, 2008

Why I Chose SmugMug to Host the Site

I was looking for a single solution for both web site hosting and e-commerce in order to automate a part time photography business and provide image storage and sharing for my personal work. None of the free services (Snapfish, Fotki, etc.) had all the features I was looking for, even with their paid services.

After an exhaustive analysis of many vendors, I narrowed it down to four within a certain price bracket and did a decision matrix using 21 weighted factors to evaluate them. SmugMug came out on top and every day I find another reason to be glad I chose them. It’s a surprisingly well-built service, run by great people, and it beats some higher-priced vendors at that! I won’t explain their offerings here since they do a fine job of that on their site; suffice to say their model is the best I found at a reasonable cost for hosting both amateur and professional photographers’ sites. It’s worth every penny.

If you're curious about the decision matrix and the factors I used, let me know and I'll send you a copy. Interesting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment