June 4, 2008

Makeup and Styling

I’ve been asked if I use a stylist for my subjects, and the answer is no – I much prefer to capture the person for who they are than for just what they look like. Quick studio makeovers are, bear with me here, usually cheesy. They almost always use fad styles, which may or may not suit the person. When I look at a portrait and wonder “wow, is that really you?” I have to ask myself if it’s really a portrait vs. an artistic reinterpretation. I guess both have their place, and what you want is what counts.

So with that said, there is a place for makeup and wardrobe for sure, especially for modeling portfolios and some professional applications; I’ll never argue with that. The bottom line; a photographer should always provide the client what they want.

So if you want to be presented in your pictures looking utterly stunning, I’m all for it; you’ll just need to take care of makeup and/or wardrobe on your own; I’ll focus on capturing the images. And if you like to be more natural looking, more like yourself yet presented in a pleasing, beautiful way, that’s my favorite. Every portrait example in my People gallery is done that way – makeup was minimal or the norm for the subject.The next post is related.

No comments:

Post a Comment