June 4, 2008

Model Portfolios

I don’t hire models since I don’t do stock or commercial work in which I would need them, but I’m happy to work with you. Based on copyright law and best practices there are two commonly used options:

Option 1: hire me. In this scenario it’s a typical portrait session, so I maintain copyright but cannot sell the images for commercial use without your consent via a signed release. I never ask paying clients to sign a release because I don’t market their images (though the artist always has the right to display their work).

Option 2: trade time for images. If you would like to model without paying or being paid, this is a good alternative. The photographer does the shoot in exchange for a signed release, which allows them to market the images commercially. Since I don’t sell stock photography (yet) I only do this on a limited basis to build my portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment