June 20, 2008

Equipment I Use

Okay, at least one person will ask, so here's a short list of stuff I currently use.
- Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi)
- Canon SX10is
- Canon 50mm f1.4 prime, 28-105mm zoom, and 75-300mm zoom lenses
- Sigma 18-50mm zoom
- Dedicated on-camera flash (Canon 430EX II and Promaster 5750)
- For some studio-like work I use a Photogenic PL1500 monolight

I like to use whatever is at my disposal, too. I've taken some amazing shots with the family point-and-shoot, a Canon A550. Even my son's refurbished Fuji A610 is a great little tool. Going back a bit, some of the images on my site were taken with an Olympus C5050z, and others were taken with Pentax or Canon 35mm film SLR's and later scanned.

On the "dark room" side I currently use a Dell 9100 Pentium 4 3mHz PC with 3gb RAM and a 256mb video card feeding an Ultra Sharp flat panel. I arrange photo libraries and edit images with Canon Digital Photo Professsional, Picasa, and Adobe Photoshop.

For photo storage I use dual internal hard drives, plus an external hard drive and DVD backups. In addition, all photos on my web site are backed up on three servers in three states by the site host, SmugMug.

So there you have it; the main stuff I use. Ultimately, great photography transcends whatever gear is used to make it, and I strive not to get caught up in the latest tech trends or gadget goodies. The stuff is fun, no doubt, but the art is far more satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment