June 4, 2008

Retouching

Touchy subject, retouching. Most of us don’t mind a bit having the photographer do some airbrushing to clean up acne, etc. But then there was a friend of mine who got professional engagement portraits done, and was enraged that the photographer erased the birthmark that slightly discolors half his face. Turns out he’s perfectly comfortable with it – it’s a part of who he is and he wanted it in the picture, never thinking the studio would go so far as to erase it (they did an amazing job, by the way). What was the mistake? Simple; the studio didn’t ask him first.

Here’s how I handle it. I ask each client how they feel about retouching, and explain that I am a minimalist with it as a default setting. Like my friend, I believe the real person is more that just what they look like in a picture, and capturing the person means allowing some of nature’s little so-called imperfections remain. But on the other hand, there is a reason I ask first; some people get professional portraits because they actually want to be made to look ‘better’, and that’s understandable, too.

So you be the judge. Not only will I give you the option up front, but after I post your pictures for review/purchase on my site you can feel totally free to ask for more or less retouching, too. I’m happy to accommodate your preferences.

By the way this applies right back at me! Being a guy, it’s not too easy to wear makeup for the occasional snap shot I appear in. And the one feature I always dislike in pictures if me is the fine effort by nature to make me appear tired; those dark circles around my eyes caused by allergies. In fact, for some reason pictures seem to make them look worse than in real life, and that’s a solid reason for retouching. A little electronic airbrush goes a long way for those. Yes, even with my belief in “natural” portrayal I still make an adjustment or two on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment